Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Birthday

 
Thursday had the potential to be very depressing. It was my birthday and Thanksgiving, and being so far from family and friends just makes it sad. I turned 27. Did anyone else feel a little depressed turning 27? It just kind of feels like a "blah" age change to me. I think turning a year older and becoming even more of an official adult makes you reflect on where you THOUGHT you would be at that age and then forces you to compare it to where you actually are. I mean, of course I am happy for my life and never thought we would be living abroad. But there's this pestering voice in the back of my head, nagging me about what I am doing with my life now that I am 27 (mainly, about my lack of career and lack of babies that aren't covered in fur).


SO, with that being said, I am very thankful that I had my mom and sister to help me get over the 27 year old blues AND to celebrate Thanksgiving with.
 
We went to have a proper tea time in Covent Garden. It was delicious and put me on a carb/ sugar high! Cucumber sandwiches, scones, éclairs, macaroons, and lots and lots of sugary tea....I wonder what has more calories in it: A thanksgiving meal or afternoon tea?
 


Note to self: The "lean back" is never flattering.

 After tea, we walked through Covent Garden to get to Trafalgar Square. Everything is set up for Christmas around London- it makes the city so beautiful!


In Trafalgar square, there are all sorts of performers: those weird "statue" people, bagpipe and accordion players, and singers. There were men drawing flags of different countries. My mom asked if they could draw the Texas flag, too, and they did! It was the only state to be represented :-)



Next,  we checked out the Natural History Museum. I've mentioned it before, but it is my favorite museum in London. The building is gorgeous- you feel like you're walking through an old university.


All this walking and exploring is exhausting!
Our Thanksgiving dinner wasn't very traditional. We took the tube to meet Daniel in Whitechapel for some Indian food. Happy Thanksgiving, indeed!
 
After dinner, we took my mom and sis to see my favorite pub for their last night in London. We played scrabble, had a couple of pints, and then walked home.

My mom and sister just left London this morning. I'm so sad that they are gone, but happy that we got to spend a great week together! I'll be posting more pictures during the next couple of days.

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and really enjoyed eating turkey, pumpkin pie, and spending time with family and friends.
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...