Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Stuff Londoners Fancy: Awkwardly Transparent Leggings

Awkwardly Transparent Leggings

It's been awhile since I've added an instalment to Stuff Londoners Fancy. This one I have noticed since nearly day one, and it has caused me to scratch my head in confusion. 

Ladies here love wearing leggings as pants, and said pants are 98% of the time awkwardly transparent. I call it awkward, because I don't know how to respond to it. I question if the ladies are aware that everyone can see their leopard print, bikini cut undies underneath or if it is some type of fashion statement? Because seriously, if they looked in a mirror, it would be nearly impossible to not see the panties through the leggings. But then again, lighting has a lot to do with it. And you have to bend in front of the mirror at different angles to make sure your leggings are in the clear. And if it was some sort of statement, why would they pick underwear that have a hole on the right butt cheek? 

So, I spend way too much time goggling at these ladies with their underwear on display, wondering if I should let them know that everyone can see the print, cut, and material of their panties or if I should just ignore it. Because if my pants were transparent, I'd want someone (even a stranger!) to notify me. But then I fear that I will nicely inform these gal's about their wardrobe malfunction, and they'll be like "Uh yah, I know! It's the look I was going for!" And then I'll look behind the times and sooooo unfashionable. 

The absolute worst of this is in yoga. In yoga, your butt is really on display, therefore you NEED to not wear leggings from the clearance section of H&M (unless, of course, you want people to see your panties? Again, I really don't know if these ladies want their underwear to be seen or not). With every down dog, forward bend, and crow pose, the underwear make more and more of an appearance through the cheap leggings. This, I'm guessing, is why there are so many more male yogi participants here. And this is also why I wear $100 yoga pants (although we now know that even those can be transparent!). 

I am not making this up, but one time, a kooky lady didn't wear leggings...but pantyhose to yoga, with nothing over the pantyhose to hide her panties. It was so awkward and I really didn't know how to respond. Yes, she was wearing sheer black pantyhose (with footies and everything- the kind you buy at Walgreens) with a T-shirt over it, tied with a scrunchie at the waist to ensure that her undies were in no way being hidden. It was so awkward. She was wearing white granny panties underneath the hose. I felt so uncomfortable. Because surely. SURELY. She knew that everyone could see her panties. And surely she knew that pantyhose are never, ever meant to be worn as pants. And no, Lady Gaga was not in my yoga class. Honestly, now that I think about it, I wonder if it was some sort of statement to all of the other ladies that wear awkwardly transparent leggings? Like, "This is what you look like! Stop this madness!" To me, that makes more sense than her just wearing pantyhose to yoga because she liked the control top and airflow. 

With all this being said, I'm just glad these ladies are at least wearing underwear with their awkwardly transparent leggings. I couldn't even handle it otherwise. 

1 comment:

  1. Lol! You crack me up with this series. Although I have seen leggings used inappropriately in the US too among other items of clothing. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...