Friday, May 16, 2014

Barcelona: Tapas, Montjuic, and other various Catalonia

Hi, all! This is going to be my last post about Barcelona...I'm ready to move on and write about different things! I'm fitting a lot into this post, so be prepared! 

On our last full day in Barcelona, we slept in pretty late and then went to Quimet & Quimet for a tapas lunch. I didn't realize this, but it was featured in one of the episodes of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. It was hands down my favorite place we ate ate while there! 


It's a 100 year old, family run LITERAL hole in the wall. It is tiny and standing room only. There's a little 5 foot long bar where all of the tapas are made before your eyes. All of the montaditos (a little bread with various toppings), glasses of Sangria, and most of the wines were under 3 euros.

The montaditos we had were so exquisitely simple. We had: yogurt with smoked salmon and truffle honey (took the whole salty sweet thing to another level), goat cheese and sundried tomato, pate with mushrooms, and mussles with caviar. Plus two glasses of really tasty Sangria, all for only 20 euros! If you go to Barcelona, you HAVE to go to this place. No, really. I insist. And if you don't know what to order, just ask the waitress to make whatever she feels like- that's what I did, and it didn't disappoint. 

   
   





Some of these pictures were actually from the day before, but I am already forgetting what we saw on which day. We walked to Montjuic (a park in west Barcelona that offers panoramic views of the city), and on the way saw some interesting sights. This is why we prefer walking to taking the bus or subway when we go out of town- we are able to stop and see so much. There was a parade going on (we are unsure what it was for, but it featured wine barrels).


We were able to take cable cars to the top of Montjuic- such a nice rest for our feet! The views were stunning and truly, you could see the whole city from the top.

There's a castle on the very top that used to be a prison and execution grounds, where 4,000 prisoners were shot here during Franco's reign.



It was a very relaxing, quiet area. There was a little trailer selling coffee, beer, and other beverages. Really, the perfect spot to go and soak in a beautiful day in Barcelona. This was probably my favorite attraction.


We sat in the grass, admiring the views and talking for a good part of the day. A great way to end our vacation.


We took the cable car back down about half way, then walked the rest of the way down the hill and back to our flat to (of course) chill on our terrace until dinner time. 



To end our last night, we had paella and then went to what Daniel calls the "secret sangria bar". It isn't secret, but not exactly what you would find in a tour book. All locals there. I love Sangria in Barcelona- I only had it a couple of times, but it isn't too sweet. It's made with MARTINI vermouth and a splash of fanta, plus some orange slices.
The next morning, while walking to catch the bus back to the airport, I took this picture because I was in shock of the amount of pigeons. I was too scared to get closer, in fear that they'd all fly off and poop on me.

In a nutshell, I loved Barcelona and I'm glad we got to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...