Friday, July 19, 2013

A better day

Lately,  I'll wake up thinking, "Ok. It's happening. Here's the day where I have nothing to blog about, the day where it sets in that this is my new normal, the day where I am bored and and don't know what to do." But then I go outside, take a new turn, and voila: something else new and wonderful is stumbled upon.

Don't get me wrong, I realize I've only been here for nearly 3 weeks. There are still plenty of PLANNed things to do and see and experience. Museums, palaces, parks...I'm not really talking about that. I more mean everyday routines and occurrences that y'all probably would get bored if I wrote about.

Example: "Today's hot. I went to yoga, sat in front of a fan for hours while watching bbc, and did 5 loads of laundry because our washing machine holds max 3 shirts and 2 pairs of trousers (not pants. Pants are underwear. Never tell someone you like their pants in the UK)." See? No body wants to read that.

So, back to my point. I thought that today wouldn't merit blogging about. But, I stumbled on another neat thing about this city.

It was such a beautiful day (we are back in the 80's woohoo!) and I knew it had to be enjoyed. There is a grassy area (too small to be a park) a block away from our flat, so I took my yoga towel and Rick Steve's travel book down to it to read, expecting a quiet and peaceful afternoon. 



Lo and behold, there was a mini festival going on for the Tour de France! People were watching recaps on a huge outdoor movie screen. Food trucks and bar stands were set up offering refreshments. I got a Pimms with lemonade, mint, cucumber, and strawberries, and enjoyed it while reading Rick's tips on traveling through Europe and soaking up breezy yet sunny day. 




I know it's small, but it's things like this that make me happy and show me that even in Canary Wharf, there is always something new to discover!

Today was a better day for me and for Daniel, too! We declared today his birthday do-over and are trying to plan a few trips now that we are getting a tad more settled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...