Saturday, September 21, 2013

Stupid London

I'm trying to focus on the positive today, but first I've gotta vent.

We love London, but have decided Houston is DEFINITELY a better place to live. London is a fun experience and offers many travel opportunities (more on that later), but so much of it just...sucks. Case in point:

Last night, I babysat until about 11 pm. It is another family with 2 adorable boys, aged 2 and 6. Their bedtime was at 8, so I just cleaned and tried to be productive while waiting for the parents to get home from their date. When they came home a little after 11 pm, they graciously offered to call a cab to take me home, but I declined, seeing as that would have cost them a lot of money and it's only 2 miles away, with several bus lines.

I go to the bus stop and wait. and wait. and wait. I usually only have to wait 3-7 minutes, but I ended up waiting for about 20 minutes (at night, there are less buses). Finally, I see the 187 bus drive by, and I get excited, getting my Oyster card out and ready to swipe. As I look up, I realize the bus is going way too fast...I start waving my arms...and it passed me. And I might have screamed an obscenity and ran after the bus, shaking my fists at the idiotic, incompetent bus driver (wow, incompetent bus driver..is there anything lower than that? You're a bus driver. Who can't drive. Clueless, anyone?)  This happens all of the time and is SO frustrating. I could have been home if I would have just ran the 2 miles! So, I decided I was going to do just that, instead of waiting around for 20 more minutes just to be passed up, at 11:30 pm. I would have normally ran it anyways, but I had already ran a lot that day and was very sore, plus I felt uncomfortable running in the dark. Thankfully, I felt safe because there were a lot of people out and about, but still, I was nervous crossing roads since I didn't have any reflective gear on! I didn't get home until a little before midnight. And all along, I'm thinking about how if I was in Houston, I would have drove home and been there in less than 5 minutes!

So, I get home and I am annoyed, just wanting to take it out on someone. Daniel is in bed and appears to be asleep, so I bang around really loudly and yell, "I just ran home and it's midnight, and you didn't wait up for me!!! What if I never made it home?!?! You would have never known!!!" He claims that he was lying awake in bed, but whatever. I'm grumpy, sweaty, and just want to shower and get to bed.

So I start up the water...and there is NO HOT WATER. Now, this really ticks me off and is of course Daniel's fault. I make him get up and try and fix it, to no avail. I ended up taking a sponge bath (yuck) after a day of running 6 miles and an hour and a half of yoga in a 95 degree room. Yah, still feelin' a lil grubby this morning.

Anyways, everything in this flat keeps breaking, which I know it also frustrating for the landlords because they just did an overhaul and replaced everything in the flat. I think in London, everything isn't exactly made to the quality as it is back home. This is the second problem in a week that we have had with our plumbing, and a plumber just came by on Tuesday. I called our landlords and hopefully a plumber will come IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS....cold showers for everyone!

I wasn't even planning on going to yoga today, but I am now, simply because I can use their hot showers once I'm done. Really, that's where I am in life? Having to go to a public place to bathe? I feel like Zooey Deschanel in Elf.  Anyways, I wasn't planning on doing any exercise today because I'm sick. I think it has something to do with running on smoggy streets and being in such a dense, crowded city, breathing in the same polluted air as the 10 million other people that live here. And I keep forgetting to douse myself in Purell after I use public transportation. I just have a head cold, thankfully, because my National Healthcare Systems (NHS) forms haven't processed yet since I just turned them in on Thursday (oops, my bad).

I was going to end this post talking about more travel plans we have, but I am running late for my shower yoga,  so I will save that for tomorrow!

Love you all, and thanks for listening to my complaining! I'll be more positive next go around!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...