Friday, January 10, 2014

Monthly Yoga Challenge

I hope I am not changing the "direction" of my blog by including this next series...but, this blog is about my life in London, and practicing yoga is a huge part of my daily life! But just in case you really only want to read about London and the rest of our EU adventures, here are some pictures of my day here.



OK, now that that's been shown, I apologize in advance if you only came here to see pictures of London, and not my yoga practice! I won't be offended if you stop reading this post now! 


I've been practising yoga for about 10 years now, and there are still some poses that just, for a lack of better words, piss me off. Frustrate me to no end. Make me want to quit yoga. I find myself saying "I cannot do that...maybe in 10 years." But you know what? I have literally been saying that about some poses for the past 10 years...and still haven't improved much!

Which has got me to thinking...

Like with anything, how can I expect to magically one day be able to get into an advanced pose, if I don't put in the practice and effort? 

So, I had an idea. I am going to pick one pose each month that is the bane of my existence. That pose that I groan about when an instructor incorporates it in her class. I am going to practice is every single day for a month, documenting it in the middle of the month, and posting it here to see the difference. Will I magically be able to perfectly complete the pose at the end of the month? Probably not. But I WILL be better at it than I was before, and on the right track to learning it! 

It might get a little embarrassing. I might post videos of me falling on my face. But that's what has to happen in order to learn! 

With that being said, we are half way done with January, so I needed a pose that I am a little closer to achieving: Mayurasana (peacock pose).

I can kinda do this. Kinda. Sad thing is, I USED to be able to do this, but then I stopped practising it, and now I can't do it without looking wonky.
YogaJournal's version 

My wonky version...


So, my goal for the next however many days we have in January is to do this with straight, non-wonky legs and to be able to lift my chest up...Will update you when we are halfway between now and February...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...