Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pumpkin and Sweet Potatoes

Thank the Lord for pumpkin and sweet potatoes...and for a husband that has learned to love these wonderful autumn treats over the years almost as much as I do.

I am working on perfecting this recipe, but I still wanted to share what I have so far. I change it every time I make it, and they are always good, no matter what.


Healthy Pumpkin Bites

This picture proves that I do not care to be a photographer. I just wanted you to see what the cookie looks like. Only 1 cookie left...I've made about 2 dozen in the past 3 days, but I have a husband that loves them!


Ingredients:
-2 cups of your favorite blend of nuts and seeds (I did a combo of walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, and chia. I think some hazelnuts or pecans would be fab, too. I would pass on cashews, peanuts, and pistachios for this, though...I just don't think it would taste right. )
-1/2 can of pumpkin
-2 spoonfuls of honey or agave (give or take some, depending on your sweet tooth! Just try the dough and see what you think)
-3 dates
- handful of dark chocolate chips, if you happen to be from the camp that thinks chocolate and pumpkin go together
-1 TBL of pumpkin pie spice (or more!)

So easy and versatile! Just chop the seeds in your food processor until they're a fine, nearly flour-like consistency, then add the pumpkin, spice, dates, and honey. Lastly, stir in some chocolate chips.

Form the dough into little balls and lightly flatten onto an oiled cookie sheet.

Bake in the oven at 350 (or 180 C...)  until brown and a bit crisp on top (took about 15 minutes). These don't even NEED to be cooked, so just bake them until they are a "done" consistency.

They turn out to be a very moist, custard-like cookie. I'm sure they would be amazing with an added grain, but I wanted to keep them grain-free (I love grains, but if it tastes good without 'em, then might as well keep 'em that way!). The beauty of this recipe is that you can really tailor it to your wants and needs. If the consistency is too moist, add more nuts! If it's dry, add more pumpkin. You get the picture.

Easy Peasy Sweet Potatoes

I have such a love for sweet potatoes. They are best in their most pure state. Why adulterate them with marshmallows, sugar, and butter when they taste so heavenly as is? You can add some simple, natural ingredients that compliment them well and take their deliciousness to the next level.

I start by baking some sweet potatoes. For just Daniel and me, I find that one American sized sweet potato is enough (2 UK sized ones, though). I poke a few holes with a fork, wrap it in foil, and  bake it at about 425 F until it is very soft to the touch (really depends on the size of the potato, but usually takes an hour or two). I take 'em out and let 'em cool for a bit.

Next, cut off the skin and mash the potatoes up with a fork, and then  just add some cinnamon and a couple of splashes of orange juice. You really don't need butter, but if you insist on making them a bit more rich, try adding a dollop or two of Greek yogurt. These are also amazing with some roasted pecans thrown in.

Also, I always cut up the skins in to small pieces and add them to the mix. It adds some extra fiber and nutrients, and I have simply always loved the taste of potato skins.

I would love to hear about YOUR favorite way to cook up some sweet potatoes or pumpkin!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Both recipes sound amazing. Going to try them. I agree, I love sweet potatoes simple. Too much stuff ruins them. My favorite way to cook sweet potatoes is to peel, slice to were they are about 1/2 inch wide, lay on cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with honey. Then bake at 350-375 or so until soft. They are so simple but so delicious. Edward was like Daniel when I met him, but luckily he too has also learn to love sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...