Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Stuff Londoners Fancy: Day Drinking


Day Drinking


Want to no longer feel guilty about your drinking habits? Come to London. Londoners love drinking, specifically day drinking (and I'm talking 7 days a week, not just on the random Sunday Funday).  
Why is there a shelf full of these cups in London? Because NOBODY could buy one and honestly use it. As least Londoners don't lie. And I mean, really...SHOULD someone proudly display the fact that no gin was allowed in their coffee cup? Now that I think about it, that mug is awesome and I totally regret not buying it. 
I initially noticed this phenomenon on my first walk to the yoga studio. At 10 on a Tuesday morning. I pass a few pubs, and I was surprised to see that every single pub had patrons sitting outside, drinking beer. And not hobo looking people- I'm talking distinguished, older men, wearing nice hats and with a cane. One of them might have even been wearing a monocle.

So, I walk past these old Londoners drinking at 10 in the morning, and you know what? I pass them again coming back from yoga at noon. And then at 3, when I had to go to the store? I pass them yet again! Still drinking their day away! Some of them are playing cards, some are with their dog, some are by themselves, reading a book, but they are ALL drinking massive amounts of booze.

The nonworking crowd isn't the only one that likes to drink all day long. You pass a city pub around 11 am, and the tables are FULL of suit-wearing men and women, knocking down as many pints as they can manage in their 1 hour lunch break. Pass that pub again after work, and they are still full! Sure, those people took a few hours break, but you better believe that they continue where they left off come 5 pm. And they stay out all night, even though it might be a Wednesday and they'll have to show up at work with a hangover!

Now that I have been here for over 6 months, I can say with confidence that day drinking on a weekday is a very normal occurrence that Londoners fancy very, very much (don't worry, not me! I won't drink until after I've had my second meal of the day, and only if it's the weekend. On weekdays, it's only with dinner. Even this Texas girl has standards, people.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...